Formative Quiz
Like Neil Bascos

Formative Quiz

Formative Quiz

• Entry Media
  • Entry Media
  • Entry Media
  • Entry Media
  • Entry Media

Description:

Published: June 17, 2017 0 0 57
By: Neil Bascos, University of California San Diego

This formative quiz was created for EDS 114 @ UCSD
Target audience: high school to college aged students who want to learn about social justice issues and reproductive justice

General Goals: to provide understanding about the core values of the reproductive justice movement, how communities of color and queer people have been disproportionately affected by state-sanctioned reproductive violence, and how these bodies have been commodified and reduced to mere objects that power capitalism and the workforce.

Question 1: Which explanation best summarizes the advocacy of reproductive justice
Bloom’s Taxonomy Level: Evaluate
Objective: to ensure that students have an understanding of the difference between reproductive justice and reproductive rights. Often, these two phrases are used and interchanged without discriminating between what each one means. I want to ensure that my students know that reproductive justice aims to situate reproductive rights within a social justice framework.

Question 2: What was Madrigal v. Quiligan, and why was it a pivotal court case involving reproductive rights?
Bloom’s Taxonomy Level: Analyze
Objective: I want my students to effectively find errors in the answers provided on the question. I want them to understand how the outcome of a court case can have drastic impacts on the communities these decisions apply to. I want my students to understand and recall this important events (not only to pay homage to the people of color and queer folks who have suffered before us so that we could exist today) because I want them to be able to connect how these various instances of violence has contributed to intergenerational trauma.
Question 3: Which of the following are ideas/myths/or lenses that have the power to uphold reproductive oppression?
Bloom’s Taxonomy Level: Evaluate
Objective: This question aims to test students’ critical thinking skills, and ensure that they have acquired a social justice lens when observing these ideas. I want them to be able to create rationale as to why each of their choices upholds oppressive practices. Further, i designed the question to have multiple answers to ensure that they have the opportunity to think of substantive arguments for and against more than one choice/answer. I wanted them to thoroughly think about each option and why they do or do not uphold oppression.

Question 4: Why was the 2017 Womxn's marches critiqued as an unwelcoming space for trans*-identified folks?
Bloom’s Taxonomy Level: Evaluate
Objective: The aim of this question was for cisgendered people to consider the position trans* folks occupy and what this means for the realities they live, contextualizing things through a contemporaneous event. Often, when talking about reproductive rights, queer bodies are left out of the discourse. Therefore, I wanted students to compare their own position to that of trans* people’s and reconsider the hardships queer people have when accessing reproductive care.

Question 5: Continuing from the previous question, the reproductive rights movement will be successful in ending oppression if and only if it continues to center the discourse on sexual reproduction and women's issues.
Bloom’s Taxonomy Level: Analyze
Objective: the aim of this question was to holistically assess whether or not the student understood what the point or content of this quiz was. The question asks the student to contrast the two choices and the reasons why each choice could be valid, recall what the definition of reproductive rights is (as opposed to reproductive justice), reconsider what was learned from the last question, and choose an answer.